• Denise Wendler will teach an all-level Iyengar Yoga class Thursdays mornings 8:30-9:45am starting Jan. 3, 2019. Denise Wendler is a certified Iyengar yoga teacher and a certified yoga therapist. She enjoys teaching students of all ages and abilities, and her classes draw faithful students who appreciate her encouraging spirit and patient instruction. She teaches classes in the Santa Cruz/South Bay area, and workshops and retreats in California and Hawaii.
Contact Denise at email@example.com or 408-506-0996.
• Crystal Maxey RYT 200 and Certified Ananda Restorative Yoga teacher, brings Hatha-Rest & Restore to Body & Soul on Wednesdays 7:15-8:45pm. She has 22 years of professional experience in the body-mind healing arts to her yoga teaching. She is a true lover of spirituality and has overcome many challenges on the path. As an Ananda trained Yoga Teacher and Graduate of the Berkeley Psychic Institute, she especially enjoys bringing awareness to the place in us where the physical and energetic selves meet. Her years of dedicated practice and study of Yoga, Meditation, Somatic Emotional Healing and Bodywork, have not only provided her with a satisfying career, but have aided in her recovery from PTSD and left her with a deep personal understanding of the difficult challenges we might face in life and the holistic way through them. Try her Hatha (more active) & Restorative classes (more restful) for a deeply healing experience of letting go of physical and mental tensions. Relax and release the body and bring flexibility to the mind. Crystal hopes you too will experience yoga as a path to mental, emotional and spiritual freedom and wishes to share her discoveries and love of yoga with her students. She hopes you will enjoy her blend of Somatic awareness, energy self healing and Asana practice in her restorative and hatha yoga classes. All levels welcome.
Please call Crystal if you have questions regarding participation - 510-541-6740.
• Armando Alcaraz will start Music of Mindfulness sitting 1st and 3rd Sundays 4:00-5:00pm, starting 10/7. The sittings involve sound and mindfulness meditation, live music, and an interactive talk focusing on the integration of mindfulness into every aspect of life: relationships, creativity, work, and appreciation of beauty. We take a little time in the day to support your own practice in finding deeper peace and meaning in everyday life. By donation. Contact Armando at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-359-2241. Click here for his website.
• Jill Duran teaches Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement® 10:00-11:00AM, ending Nov 29. The class consists of verbally directed exercises, usually done lying down and sometimes sitting in a chair or standing up, and often based on functions like reaching, walking, bending, breathing, and turning. The lessons consist of sophisticated, novel, and pleasant movement sequences that access the sensory motor pathways of the brain through action, attention, perception, and imagination. You will explore the interconnection of moving, thinking and sensing yourself in a small group, allowing more individual attention and specific guidance. This exploration allows you to feel more grounded, reduce tension and pain, and move with freedom and ease. You may experience fuller breathing, increased creativity, clearer thinking, and improved functioning in all your activities. Fees are drop-in for $15 or 4 classes for $50. Contact Jill at email@example.com. Learn more at the website.
• Neville Loberg teaches Tang Soo Do karate on Wednesday evenings, 5:30 to 7:00 pm. Come check out the new class – the traditional martial art of Tang Soo Do karate taught by long-time Oakstrong Martial Arts practitioner and certified instructor Neville Loberg. Along with effective defensive techniques and a great workout, students will learn an elegant ancient art and practice the aspects that enable the potential to generate and transmit qigong energy. Oakstrong Martial Arts offers classes covering each of the different aspects of Tang Soo Do karate. Instructor Neville Loberg invites you to experience the power of positive reinforcement. Each 90-minute class employs a mix of stretching, warm-up, karate techniques, and qigong exercises. In each class you will see, hear and practice the physical and energetic aspects of Tang Soo Do. Along the way you will gain confidence, strength, and vitality. For more details contact Neville at 831-252-2628. Click here for his website.
• Merek Dorf teaches Traditional Japanese Sword Study on Tuesday mornings, 9:15 to 11:15am and Thursday nights, 7:15 to 9:15pm. Santa Cruz Todo Kai is a Central Coast CA study group of Ryushin Shouchi Ryu Iaido, a traditional school of Japanese sword. Current study is open to all levels... Please contact Merek if interested @ firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-421-2983. Click here for his flyer.
• Lyn Ackley teaches Classical Yoga on Tuesdays 5:30-7:00pm and Second Sunday Satsang: Classical Yoga from 8:30-10:00am. These practices are Hatha based and informed by Classical Ashtanga Philosophy as taught by Baba Hari Das. Lyn’s goal is to teach to whomever is in the room. Practices seek to bring awareness to mind body and breath, along with stregnth and flexibility. For those seeking to dive deeper into pranayama and meditation, check out the Sunday practice. These classes are donation based. Lyn is a Graduate of Mount Madonna Institutes’ 500 hour Teacher Training Program, and is currently enrolled in MMI’s Ayurvedic Health Counceling Program. Lyn is grateful for the teachings of Baba Hari Dass, her teachers past and present, her students, and the opportunity to teach and to learn. Click here to visit her website for schedule changes and more information. Contact her at email@example.com or 831-332-5507.
• White Crane Silat: A Chinese / Indonesian martial art & Healing Arts System. Taught By David Gilbert (Certified Trainer in the Martial & Tao Kung Health System). The White Crane System offers a diversity of training and self-cultivation opportunities appropriate for everybody - independent of age, gender and physical condition. Everybody participates at the level appropriate for his or her body; no one is excluded due to lack of experience or capacity. Our small class size allows for individualized attention. The Saturday classes focus on: stretching, warm-ups, short form & long form movements, partner training, passives and “Tui Chu” (the White Crane dynamic partner training). Recommended for all ages 16 & up. The Tao Kung health system is recommended for individuals 35 years and older. This class is taught by David & Vickie Gilbert (US trainers of the Tao Kung System). David began training White Crane Silat in the late 1990s with linage holders of the White Crane System. No Prior martial arts or Qi Gong experience is necessary for White Crane Silat Training or the Tao Kung training. If Interested please contact David prior to coming to the class. To join us for a training session “Latian,” bring white t-shirt and white or light colored workout pants.
Class Schedule: Saturdays, 12:30 – 2:00pm, Silat Main Training (contact David).
Costs: $8.00 per class - Student Discounts Available.
• Chien-Lung on Friday afternoons 4:30 to 5:30pm with Steven Macramalla, Ph.D. Chien-Lung, a Chinese Martial Art has come to Body & Soul. It is based on six animals (tiger, black panther, white leopard, python, cobra, and boa), each embodying a different way of moving and meditating, different system of the body and part of the brain, and different style of self defense. With powerful punches and aerial kicks, this vigourous workout "unleashes the animal within" and centers you with the meditation. Sifu Steven Macramalla holds a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology from UCSC, did his post-doc at NASA and is currently teaching at San Jose State University. He was born in Montreal, and began his marital arts training in 1990 in British Columbia. He has been a personal fitness and marathon trainer, yoga and nutrition instructor in addition to having taught Chien Lung for over 20 years. Call him at 831-234-8451 for more info. Click here to visit his website. Click here for his flyer.
• Iyengar Yoga with Susan Merritt. Susan is the founder and director of Body & Soul, and has been teaching yoga for 28 years. She teaches seven public classes each week and loves to work privately with people. Classes are Monday nights, Wednesday mornings, Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings. Her training is strongly based in the Iyengar system of Hatha Yoga, which has given her a gift for working with people with injuries and those needing individual attention. Her classes are a synthesis of anatomy, alignment, and awareness.
Susan Merritt teaching Gentle Yoga for people who want a slow, careful, and fun approach to strengthening & stretching. Classes are Tuesdays 1:00 to 2:15 pm and Fridays 9:30 to 10:45am at Body & Soul. Click here for the flyer.
Call Susan at 831-459-8613 or SusanMerrittYoga@gmail.com . Click here to visit her website.
• Karen Zelin teaches Iyengar-based Yoga on Mondays 11:30am to 12:45pm and Wednesdays 11:30am to 12:45pm. Her classes are designed to explore the depth of yoga: to grow in strength & flexibility, to bring compassion to the body & mind, and to grow in awareness. Contact Karen at 831-234-1408 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Click here to visit her website.
• Yoga for women over 65 with Susan Moore-Orrett on Monday afternoons. Call Susan at 831-338-3794.