• Naomi Charanpal will teach Kundalini Yoga Wednesdays 4:00-5:15pm (started March) and Thursdays 8:00-9:15am (starting April 5). Kundalini yoga, known as the yoga of awareness, is an ancient prescriptive science and technology that can bring more vitality, radiance, and healing into your life. By experiencing kriyas, meditation, mantra, and gong, this lineage, as originally taught by Yogi Bhajan, strengthens and stimulates the glands, nerves, and circulation. The subtle bodies of energy, such as the chakras, aura, and arclines, are also elevated through this dynamic and life-enhancing practice. Beginners are always welcome. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and be open to experiencing something extraordinary. Contact Charanpal at email@example.com. Here's her flyer.
• Jill Duran will teach Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement® 10:00-11:00AM, starting Nov 2. The class consists of verbally directed exercises, usually done lying down and sometimes sitting in a chair or standing up, and often based on functions like reaching, walking, bending, breathing, and turning. The lessons consist of sophisticated, novel, and pleasant movement sequences that access the sensory motor pathways of the brain through action, attention, perception, and imagination. You will explore the interconnection of moving, thinking and sensing yourself in a small group, allowing more individual attention and specific guidance. This exploration allows you to feel more grounded, reduce tension and pain, and move with freedom and ease. You may experience fuller breathing, increased creativity, clearer thinking, and improved functioning in all your activities. Fees are drop-in for $15 or 4 classes for $50. Contact Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Learn more at the website.
• Kristina Jakab will offer a meditation class, The Awakened Mind, on Sundays from 1:00-2:00pm starting August 20. Expand your consciousness through meditation, mindfulness and personal empowerment. What you focus on you'll become, so always focus on the brightest, happiest, most noble of all things, enlightenment. Contact Kristina at email@example.com. Learn more at the website. Click here for the flyer.
• Neville Loberg will teach Tang Soo Do karate on Wednesday evenings, 5:30 to 7:00 pm. Come check out the new class – the traditional martial art of Tang Soo Do karate taught by long-time Oakstrong Martial Arts practitioner and certified instructor Neville Loberg. Along with effective defensive techniques and a great workout, students will learn an elegant ancient art and practice the aspects that enable the potential to generate and transmit qigong energy. Oakstrong Martial Arts offers classes covering each of the different aspects of Tang Soo Do karate. Instructor Neville Loberg invites you to experience the power of positive reinforcement. Each 90-minute class employs a mix of stretching, warm-up, karate techniques, and qigong exercises. In each class you will see, hear and practice the physical and energetic aspects of Tang Soo Do. Along the way you will gain confidence, strength, and vitality. For more details contact Neville at 831-252-2628. Click here for his website.
• Julie Oak will teach RealPlay Moving Stories on Wednesday evenings 7:15 to 9:00pm. Move your body, open your voice, free your mind and play! Tell your story or the story that inspires you. Feel the physical release as you move with the spoken word. Weaving sound, movement and words, we co-create relevant and magical improvisations embodying our Life stories, Fantasies and Many Selves. Contact Julie at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-477-0407. Click here for the RealPlay website, and to get more info and current offerings.
• Merek Dorf will teach Traditional Japanese Sword Study on Tuesday mornings, 9:15 to 11:15am and Thursday nights, 7:15 to 9:15pm. Santa Cruz Todo Kai is a Central Coast CA study group of Ryushin Shouchi Ryu Iaido, a traditional school of Japanese sword. Current study is open to all levels... Please contact Merek if interested @ email@example.com or 831-421-2983. Click here for his flyer.
• Edward Willey offers classes in Sheng Zhen Gong, the Qi Gong of Unconditional Love. The Sheng Zhen Gong (standing form and meditation) class is offered Wednesday 6:00 to 7:00pm and Thursdays 12:00 to 1:00pm. He offers a once a month Sheng Zhen Meditation class, the third Sunnday, 4:30 to 5:45pm. Sheng Zhen Gong is a series of natural movements and meditations that help unlock the full range of motion and grace inherent in the human body. When you practice this form of qigong, relax the body and go through each movement with the heart leading, enjoying the movements as one would enjoy being on vacation. As the heart opens through the practice of Sheng Zhen Gong, the experience of unconditional love becomes tangible and accessible. Classes are open to people of all ages and ability levels.
Edward Willey is a certified instructor of Sheng Zhen Gong and continues to study regularly with the founder, Master Li Jun Feng. Edward has over fifteen years of experience in martial arts, meditation, energy healing, yoga and qi gong. He is excited to be sharing the gift of Sheng Zhen with Santa Cruz. The Sheng Zhen Healing Gong (seated healing form) class consists of ten seated movements to help open the heart, improve the flow of qi in the body and return one to a natural state. First, the physical movements help relax and synchronize the body. Then, as the mind learns to be quiet and the heart begins to open, one will begin to have a deeper understanding of life and the Universe. The Sheng Zhen Gong (standing form and meditation) class will focus on a ten movement standing form called Heaven Nature Gong. This graceful form is particularly good for the general health of the body, cultivating a supple spine and a peaceful demeanor. A seated meditation will also be taught. Union of Three Hearts is a non-moving qigong that trains the mind. As this practice quiets the mind one is able to return to the Beginning – to connect with Heaven, Earth, and with all humanity. Contact Edward at 831-435-0611.
• Lyn Ackley teaches Classical Yoga on Tuesdays 5:30-7:00pm and Second Sunday Satsang: Classical Yoga from 8:30-10:00am. These practices are Hatha based and informed by Classical Ashtanga Philosophy as taught by Baba Hari Das. Lyn’s goal is to teach to whomever is in the room. Practices seek to bring awareness to mind body and breath, along with stregnth and flexibility. For those seeking to dive deeper into pranayama and meditation, check out the Sunday practice. These classes are donation based. Lyn is a Graduate of Mount Madonna Institutes’ 500 hour Teacher Training Program, and is currently enrolled in MMI’s Ayurvedic Health Counceling Program. Lyn is grateful for the teachings of Baba Hari Dass, her teachers past and present, her students, and the opportunity to teach and to learn. Click here to visit her website for schedule changes and more information. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-332-5507.
• White Crane Silat: A Chinese / Indonesian martial art & Healing Arts System. Taught By David Gilbert (Certified Trainer in the Martial & Tao Kung Health System). The White Crane System offers a diversity of training and self-cultivation opportunities appropriate for everybody - independent of age, gender and physical condition. Everybody participates at the level appropriate for his or her body; no one is excluded due to lack of experience or capacity. Our small class size allows for individualized attention. The Saturday and Thursday Morning Classes focus on: stretching, warm-ups, short form & long form movements, partner training, passives and “Tui Chu” (the White Crane dynamic partner training). Recommended for all ages 16 & up. The Wednesday night class, The Tao Kung (white Crane Qi Gong health system), focuses on mindful slower movements. This training includes: gentle warm-ups & stretching, isolated short form movements, and a breathing system. The Tao Kung health system is recommended for individuals 35 years and older. This class is taught by David & Vickie Gilbert (US trainers of the Tao Kung System). David began training White Crane Silat in the late 1990s with linage holders of the White Crane System. No Prior martial arts or Qi Gong experience is necessary for White Crane Silat Training or the Tao Kung training. If Interested please contact David prior to coming to the class. To join us for a training session “Latian,” bring white t-shirt and white or light colored workout pants.
Class Schedule: Saturdays, 12:30 – 2:30pm, Silat Main Training (contact David); and Fridays, 7:30 - 9:15am, Beginning Youth Class.
Costs: $8.00 per class - Student Discounts Available.
• Chien-Lung on Tuesday evenings 7:15 to 8:45pm with Steven Macramalla, Ph.D. Chien-Lung, a Chinese Martial Art has come to Body & Soul. It is based on six animals (tiger, black panther, white leopard, python, cobra, and boa), each embodying a different way of moving and meditating, different system of the body and part of the brain, and different style of self defense. With powerful punches and aerial kicks, this vigourous workout "unleashes the animal within" and centers you with the meditation. Sifu Steven Macramalla holds a Ph.D. in Cognitive Psychology from UCSC, did his post-doc at NASA and is currently teaching at San Jose State University. He was born in Montreal, and began his marital arts training in 1990 in British Columbia. He has been a personal fitness and marathon trainer, yoga and nutrition instructor in addition to having taught Chien Lung for over 20 years. Call him at 831-234-8451 for more info. Click here to visit his website. Click here for his flyer.
• Iyengar Yoga with Susan Merritt. Susan is the founder and director of Body & Soul, and has been teaching yoga for 28 years. She teaches seven public classes each week and loves to work privately with people. Classes are Monday nights, Wednesday mornings, Thursday nights, and Saturday mornings. Her training is strongly based in the Iyengar system of Hatha Yoga, which has given her a gift for working with people with injuries and those needing individual attention. Her classes are a synthesis of anatomy, alignment, and awareness.
Susan Merritt is teaching a new class, Gentle Yoga for people who want a slow, careful, and fun approach to strengthening & stretching. Classes are Tuesdays 1:00 to 2:15 pm and Fridays 9:30 to 10:45am at Body & Soul. Click here for the flyer.
Call Susan at 831-459-8613 or email@example.com . Click here to visit her website.
• Karen Zelin teaches Iyengar-based Yoga on Mondays 11:30am to 12:45pm and Wednesdays 11:30am to 12:45pm. Her classes are designed to explore the depth of yoga: to grow in strength & flexibility, to bring compassion to the body & mind, and to grow in awareness. Contact Karen at 831-234-1408 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Click here to visit her website.
• Yoga for women over 65 with Susan Moore-Orrett on Monday afternoons. Call Susan at 831-338-3794.